Mini Apple Turnovers Recipe
These cute little pastries are so yummy! I'm tempted to hoard them for myself when I make a batch, but I always end up sharing. —Merrill Powers, Spearville, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Additional sugar, optional
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Refrigerate the egg white. Beat egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water into cream cheese mixture. Gradually add flour until well blended. Shape pastry into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the apples, sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Turn the pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 4-in. circles. Top each circle with apple mixture. Brush edges of pastry with water; fold pastry over filling and seal edges well.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk egg white and remaining water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
- 5. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 167 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC