- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Additional sugar, optional
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Refrigerate the egg white. Beat egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water into cream cheese mixture. Gradually add flour until well blended. Shape pastry into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the apples, sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Turn the pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 4-in. circles. Top each circle with apple mixture. Brush edges of pastry with water; fold pastry over filling and seal edges well.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and remaining water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Mini Apple Turnovers
Sort By :
"Had a real problem with the dough -- couldn't get it to roll out right and it tore when wrapping. Ended up making a streusel-looking concoction that tasted fine; just not what I was hoping for. And the dough took forever to cook."
"Awesome for all those apples that you pick while going apple picking... pastry is very tender, and when you brush the egg whites and sprikle sugar on it it turns a perfect crispy gold.. yummy with frozen vanilla yogurt too! thanks for recomending this recipe. love this site! :)"
"Just saw this receipe and wanted to try it, how much sugar did you use and in replace of flour?"
"Well back in the day I'd make a HUGE apple pie for desert(s) and you always had some left over pastry .... not when you stuffed same with this. Into the same oven as the pie (which would take its sweet time (sorry, bad pun) but these would be done in a few minutes. Dad was a 'hero' when he pulled the 'intrem treats' to keep the hungry mob at bay."
"I don't care for creme cheese, should I add a touch more butter to replace it?"