Crisp sheets of phyllo dough surround tender slices of apple in this clever play on strudel. Walnuts and cinnamon enhance that traditional apple pie flavor. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the apples, sugar, walnuts, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out). Spray with butter-flavored spray.
- Fold in half widthwise; spray again with butter-flavored spray. Spoon a scant 1/3 cup filling onto phyllo about 2 in. from a short side. Fold side and edges over filling and roll up. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat.
- With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in tops of strudels. Spray strudels with butter-flavored spray. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mini Apple Strudels in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p15
Reviews for Mini Apple Strudels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review