Mini Apple Strudels Recipe
Crisp sheets of phyllo dough surround tender slices of apple in this clever play on strudel. Walnuts and cinnamon enhance that traditional apple pie flavor. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the apples, sugar, walnuts, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 2. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out). Spray with butter-flavored spray.
- 3. Fold in half widthwise; spray again with butter-flavored spray. Spoon a scant 1/3 cup filling onto phyllo about 2 in. from a short side. Fold side and edges over filling and roll up. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat.
- 4. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in tops of strudels. Spray strudels with butter-flavored spray. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 strudel equals 100 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC