Need to use up leftover pie filling? These cute tarts from our Test Kitchen have a golden crust brimming with a sweet-tart apple and cherry filling.
Recommended: 40 Recipes You Won't Believe Are Dairy-Free
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
- Divide pastry in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 9-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the pie filling, cherries, ginger and cinnamon. Spoon over each pastry to within 2 in. of edges. Fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered. Beat egg white and water; brush over folded pastry. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are lightly browned. Using parchment paper, slide tarts onto a wire rack to cool. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mini Apple Rustic Tarts in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p62
Reviews for Mini Apple Rustic Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review