- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or 4 ounces spaghetti, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a stockpot, saute the onions, celery and parsley in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, carrots, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir into soup along with the zucchini, beans and pasta. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Top each serving with cheese. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews for Minestrone
"We loved this soup, but made a few changes according to our taste. Did not add cabbage or leeks, used kidney beans, and added about 1 to 1.5 cups more broth. Husband and I both loved it. Will be added to our regular menu - we both love soup for our evening meal with salad and fresh bread. Since it is just the two of us, divided the left over into freezer containers. Try this one - perfect as written!"
"I used two cans of white beans instead of the other beans, no cabbage, or green beans and I added a little wine and three bay leaves. It came out perfect. I was shocked how much flavor it had. It needs more liquid though."
"Absolutely wonderful soup! I didn't have any cabbage but it's great without it! I had to thin it out some with about 3 cups of broth and tomato juice. Still very hearty. Used mini shells and I can't say enough good things about it!!!!!' Freezes great too!"
"Really good. I threw in a bunch of extra stuff to account for all the stuff that I didn't have on hand and it still turned out delicious! Even my husband and 2 year old loved it!"
"Delicious. I mixed lean ground beef with pork sausage (cut from the casings) and the whole family loved it. I also used mini shells for the pasta and loved the look and taste. I must admit, I am not sure how this is supposed to make 20 servings. I made this for Sunday dinner, feeding 6 adults and two children, and we barely had enough leftover to make one bowl of soup the next day for lunch. Granted, I used BIG bowls to serve the soup in, so that might have something to do with it. ;)"
"My family loved this! In fact, my six year old had thirds and asked for this to go on his list of favs."
"Excellent recipe, good on a cold fall or winter day. My husband and children enjoy the soup. It is very hearty and filling, when completly cooked sometimes I need to even add 2 cans of V-8 juice to the soup to help thin it out. I do not even add hte salt, still very good. I get so many compliments on this recipe. It makes a large pot full and even freezes pretty good."
"Awesome recipe. My children and hubby love this dish."
"My whole family loved this recipe...that includes a 4 year old. I will definitely be making this again."