Minestrone with Italian Sausage Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, celery and leek; cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, green beans and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook for 6-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Minestrone with Italian Sausage(24)
Sort By :
Sounds wonderful! Any idea how it would be without the cabbage?
Mmmm, mmmm good! Made mine in the slow cooker, adding the pasta at the end. So thick it almost doesn't seem like a soup. Great for taking to work for lunch.
My family loved this recipe. I used cannellini beans instead of garbanzos and it was great. I like a little more broth so I added a medium can of tomato sauce and an extra can of beef broth. It came out great! I will make this again soon.
Best minestrone my family has ever had! Thanks for the great recipe!
I found this recipe in a friend's TOH magazine. This is the recipe that made me subscribe to TOH. Everyone loves & asks for me to make it for every gathering. I add 1/4 to 1/2 lb of hot sausage when I want a little kick. I am never disappointed in this soup.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Minestrone Soup >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Sausage Soup >
- Soup Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >