- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, celery and leek; cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, green beans and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook for 6-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Sort By :
"I've made it with the cabbage and now with spinach replacing the cabbage. I love it both ways but perhaps the spinach has the edge for me."
"I made mine in the slow cooker and added spinach. It was very good. I also used turkey sausage."
"I made mine in the slow cooker and added spinach. It was very good."
"Sounds wonderful! Any idea how it would be without the cabbage?"
"Mmmm, mmmm good! Made mine in the slow cooker, adding the pasta at the end. So thick it almost doesn't seem like a soup. Great for taking to work for lunch."