- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, celery and leek; cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, green beans and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook for 6-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Minestrone with Italian Sausage
"Positively awesome!!!! This is my families favorite new soup!! I have made this soup several times since i found the recipe. I only made a few changes; I used spinach instead of cabbage, frozen green beans, and kidney beans. Thank you for sharing this recipe Linda :)"
"My family loved this soup! Very healthy & hearty. This soup will be one of my go to for dinner when it's cold outside."
"I omitted the leek & celery, the soup was fantastic!"
"this was my first time making minestrone soup and it was FANTASTIC!!! I've made it three times so far and it has been a big hit in my house!!! Thank you."
"This is the best minestrone I've ever had. I've made it as is and I've also substituted spinach for cabbage and chicken stock for beef and both were delicious! My family raves about it. A definite keeper!"