- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, celery and leek; cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, green beans and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook for 6-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Minestrone with Italian Sausage
"Excellent! And even better the next day :)"
"Great soup! Can't sat enough good about it."
"This is a very good basic minestrone. I made a few changes and it still turned out great! I used hot Italian sausage, and since I didn't have any leeks, zucchini, or green beans I left them out. Instead I added some frozen mixed veggies, and used the cabbage instead of spinach. I also precooked my pasta before adding to the soup. Very tasty and satisfying meal!"
"I omitted the leek & celery, the soup was fantastic!"
"this was my first time making minestrone soup and it was FANTASTIC!!! I've made it three times so far and it has been a big hit in my house!!! Thank you."
"This is the best minestrone I've ever had. I've made it as is and I've also substituted spinach for cabbage and chicken stock for beef and both were delicious! My family raves about it. A definite keeper!"
"We made this for a child that normally doesn't eat veggies and he loved it! We made it as is and it was a perfect winter soup!"