"This is by far the easiest, tastiest economical recipe I've found," reports Diane Varner, Elizabeth, Colorado, a mother of two teenage sons who works part-time. "It seems to taste even better as a leftover." Our test kitchen figures her frugal skillet dish costs just 78¢ per serving.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the tomatoes, water, macaroni and bouillon; bring to a
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until macaroni is
- tender. Stir in beans and cook until heated through. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 354 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,037 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 25 g protein.