- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or 4 ounces spaghetti, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a stockpot, saute the onions, celery and parsley in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, carrots, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir into soup along with the zucchini, beans and pasta. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Top each serving with cheese. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews for Minestrone
Sort By :
"I love this soup! So healthy and yummy!"
"My family loved this! In fact, my six year old had thirds and asked for this to go on his list of favs."
"This was great! I made it for a sick friend, and it made so much we had some for our dinner too. We don't even like minestrone, and this soup converted us! I used Italian sausage instead of ground beef and added more stock. Will add more cabbage next time, too, since that was my favorite part!"
"Excellent recipe, good on a cold fall or winter day. My husband and children enjoy the soup. It is very hearty and filling, when completly cooked sometimes I need to even add 2 cans of V-8 juice to the soup to help thin it out. I do not even add hte salt, still very good. I get so many compliments on this recipe. It makes a large pot full and even freezes pretty good."
"Awesome recipe. My children and hubby love this dish."