Mine Run Candy
This candy always brings back memories of my childhood in mining country. It is so easy to make and you can choose if you want it chocolate coated or not.Dean&Deluca Wichita Corporate Copywriter, Lisa Henshall, Wichita, Kansas
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with butter;
- set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup
- and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is
- dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy
- thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda. Immediately pour into
- prepared pan. Do not spread candy. Cool. Using foil, lift candy out
- of pan. Gently peel off foil; break candy into pieces.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip
- candies in the chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place
- on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 2 ounces equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium,