Instead of fixing a traditional pie, I gussied up mincemeat by creating this fancy trifle. The recipe's a time-saver, since it can be prepared a day ahead.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups prepared mincemeat
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Red and green candied cherries, optional
- In a saucepan, combine egg yolks, milk, sugar, lemon peel and salt until blended. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine mincemeat and lemon juice. Tear cake into 1-in. cubes; place a third of the cake in a trifle bowl or 2-qt. serving bowl. Top with a third of the custard and half of the mincemeat. Repeat layers. Top with remaining custard.
- In a bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form; spread over custard. Garnish with cherries if desired. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Mincemeat Trifle in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p42
Reviews for Mincemeat Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review