Ssh! "Don't reveal the 'secret ingredient' in this tender, chewy old-time cookie until after they take a taste," suggests Lucie Fitzgerald of Spring Hill, Florida. Her recipe will win over even those who think they don't like mincemeat.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (9 ounces) condensed mincemeat, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder
- and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in
- mincemeat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls; dip into egg white and remaining sugar.
- Place sugar side up 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 375° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks.
- Yield: 4 dozen.