- roasting pan. Combine the butter, garlic, basil, salt, onion powder,
- marjoram and remaining pepper; rub over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large
- bowl, combine the champagne, onions, broth and orange juice; pour
- into pan. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer
- reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan juices. Cover loosely
- with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 15
- minutes before slicing.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring
- cup. Skim fat, reserving 1 tablespoon. Add enough broth to the
- drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter and
- reserved fat. Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add broth
- mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 6 ounces cooked chicken with about 2 tablespoons gravy equals 731 calories, 41 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 204 mg cholesterol, 798 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 58 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.