Mimosa Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups brut Champagne
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Cut one orange into slices; cut remaining orange into wedges. With fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of chicken breast. Place orange slices under the skin. Place orange wedges inside cavity and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Tuck wings under chicken. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the butter, garlic, basil, salt, onion powder, marjoram and remaining pepper; rub over chicken.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the champagne, onions, broth and orange juice; pour into pan. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan juices. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- 4. For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 1 tablespoon. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter and reserved fat. Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
6 ounces cooked chicken with 2 tablespoons: 731 calories, 41g fat (15g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 58g protein
Reviews for Mimosa Roasted Chicken
"very moist and even good cold the next day"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.