Mimi's Lentil Medley Recipe
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium cucumber, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- 1. Place lentils in a small saucepan. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Add mushrooms, cucumber, zucchini, onion and tomatoes. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, mint, oil, honey, basil and oregano. Drizzle over lentil mixture; toss to coat. Add spinach, cheese and, if desired, bacon; toss to combine. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without bacon): 225 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat
Reviews for Mimi's Lentil Medley
"Loved the dressing! It would make a great side dish for the summer."
"I loved it. People asked for the recipe. My husband wasn't too keen on it, but he thought it was okay."
"Maybe I did something wrong, but this basically tasted like salad with a side of lentils mixed in. I want to make it again because it's good for you and I'd like to give it another go, but no one in the family raved about it or asked for it again!"
"I made this recipe for a party and got rave reviews."
"Absolutely delicious!! I didn't have honey so I used Karo syrup."
"I made this for a family pitch it, and most of the adults loved it. :) I left out the mushrooms because we have picky eaters, substituted green onion for red onion, mint extract and real bacon bits as opposed to frying the bacon myself. I would definitely make this again!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.