Milk N Honey Bread
"When you cut into this wholesome-tasting bread, you can hardly believe it's not a yeast bread," assures Wendy Skipper of Cornelius, Oregon. "It's best warm from the oven...however, leftovers are also great toasted the next day."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, optional
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, combine milk, honey and butter.
- Heat just until the butter is melted. Cool for 10 minutes. In a
- bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in milk mixture just
- until combined. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake
- at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a
- wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: One slice (prepared with fat-free milk and reduced-fat margarine and without nuts) equals 145 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.