Milk-Free Corn Bread
“My children have food allergies and I always take this bread with me when we’re invited to dinner. It goes great with most any meal,” says Angie Philkill of Fort Gratiot, Michigan.
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rice drink
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl,
- whisk the egg, rice drink, oil and applesauce. Stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking
- pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 178 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.