I've relied on this dessert for more than 30 years. It's a delicious ice cream for chocolate lovers.
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 jars (11-3/4 ounces each) hot fudge ice cream topping
- In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Remove lids from jars of fudge topping. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until warmed; whisk into cream mixture.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze; stir before transferring to ice cream cylinder. Transfer ice cream to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Originally published as Milk Chocolate Ice Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p54
Reviews for Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review