Mile High Shredded Beef Recipe
This tender beef has become a tasty tradition when I cook for our harvest crews and for neighboring ranchers who come to help us sort our cattle. Those hungry folks have been a good testing ground for recipes. They let me know if a new one I try is a "keeper". -Betty Sitzman, Wray, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 3 hours YIELD:12-15 servings
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 15 Hoagie Buns
- 1. Place the roast in a Dutch oven; add broth, onion and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast and cool slightly; shred meat with two forks. Strain vegetables and set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid and reserve 1-1/2 cups. Return the meat, vegetables and reserved cooking liquid to the pan.
- 3. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, garlic powder, paprika and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve beef on buns. Yield: 12-15 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC