- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 15 Hoagie Buns
- Place the roast in a Dutch oven; add broth, onion and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast and cool slightly; shred meat with two forks. Strain vegetables and set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid and reserve 1-1/2 cups. Return the meat, vegetables and reserved cooking liquid to the pan.
- Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, garlic powder, paprika and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve beef on buns. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Mile High Shredded Beef
"Has anyone tried making this in a slow cooker?"
"Excellent recipe! I followed it exactly as it said and it tasted wonderful. Even my picky husband who makes his own BBQ sauce loved it and said it was the best sandwich he's ever had. Thank you!"
"First time trying this...I was missing the paprika and hot sauce for starters. I added cilantro to it and some peppercorns while it cooked. The flavor is unbelievable and the meat is melt in your mouth tender. I will use this recipe again."
"There were no leftovers!!!!!! Everyone loved them!!! I did not change anything."
"I haven't found anyone who doesn't like this recipe. I make it a 2 day meal. I cook the meat and refrigerate overnight. Then I skim the fat - shred the beef and cook the sauce. Add sauce and its ready. Simple for company and a great switch from pulled pork. Sometimes I serve both."
"Very good. Made it once so far, and plan to make it again this week. I found the vegetables to smell bad, so I discarded them. (It might have been the onion I had)."
"My favorite shredded beef recipe. I have made this for many gatherings and everyone loves it."
"Very easy to make and tasty!"
"The family thought this was delicious....I was sick and didn't get to have it but I'm sure I would have agreed with them. I'd give it a five star rating, but for some reason the box where you click on the stars won't allow me to do so, nor check the box saying I'd make it again. I would! (I'd like to be able to have some the next time around.)"
"Excellent recipe, I increased the vinegar and hot sauce slightly."