Mile High Shredded Beef Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 15 Hoagie Buns
- Place the roast in a Dutch oven; add broth, onion and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast and cool slightly; shred meat with two forks. Strain vegetables and set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid and reserve 1-1/2 cups. Return the meat, vegetables and reserved cooking liquid to the pan.
- Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, garlic powder, paprika and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve beef on buns. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Mile High Shredded Beef(11)
Sort By :
First time trying this...I was missing the paprika and hot sauce for starters. I added cilantro to it and some peppercorns while it cooked. The flavor is unbelievable and the meat is melt in your mouth tender. I will use this recipe again.
There were no leftovers!!!!!! Everyone loved them!!! I did not change anything.
I haven't found anyone who doesn't like this recipe. I make it a 2 day meal. I cook the meat and refrigerate overnight. Then I skim the fat - shred the beef and cook the sauce. Add sauce and its ready. Simple for company and a great switch from pulled pork. Sometimes I serve both.
Very good. Made it once so far, and plan to make it again this week. I found the vegetables to smell bad, so I discarded them. (It might have been the onion I had).
My favorite shredded beef recipe. I have made this for many gatherings and everyone loves it.