- 1-1/2 cups crushed chocolate-covered mint cookies
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 cups peppermint ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- Combine cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. metal pie pan. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Spread ice cream into crust. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Shortly before serving, combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Stir in the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Keep warm.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, beat the egg whites and sugar on low speed with a portable mixer until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; transfer to a bowl. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread over frozen pie. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately with warm chocolate sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mile-High Peppermint Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p51
Reviews for Mile-High Peppermint Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review