Mild Tomato Salsa Recipe
- 36 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 15 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 to 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large stockpot, cook tomatoes, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid. Return tomatoes to the pot.
- 2. Stir in green peppers, onions, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, red pepper, celery, garlic, jalapenos, canning salt, hot pepper sauce and reserved tomato liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,1 hour, stirring frequently.
- 3. Ladle hot mixture into 10 hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 10 pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 14 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.