- 36 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 15 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 to 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large stockpot, cook tomatoes, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid. Return tomatoes to the pot.
- Stir in green peppers, onions, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, red pepper, celery, garlic, jalapenos, canning salt, hot pepper sauce and reserved tomato liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Ladle hot mixture into 10 hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 10 pints.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Mild Tomato Salsa
Sort By :
"First time I made salsa- and it is the best salsa I've ever tasted!!! Not very sweet compared to some other homemade salsa I've tried. If you like spicy you could definitely up the jalape?os/hot sauce. Make sure to mince the garlic very fine. If you like very thick salsa, just add back a little less tomato juice than the recipe calls for. Also be sure to really break up the tomatoes when cooking (unless you like really big chunks). Most people who have tried this have asked for the recipe! We gobbled it up in a big hurry and I am about to make a second batch:)"
"This is an AWESOME Salsa, Yeah Its Sweet which is Perfect for my mom and I Love it too. Made 1/6 and 1/12 th of this Recipe four times Now. Is so Good... I Used Ten Times the Jalapenos and Added Cilantro Probably be about 1/3 Cup Dried Cilantro for Full Recipe, To Make a Nice Sweet n' Spicy."
"Awesome recipe. A tad sweet. Next time I'll add sugar a little at a time."
"Great recipe. Love the consistency. Changed celery to dried cilantro and cut salt to 2 tbsp. can make as hot or mild with the types of peppers. We used paste tomatoes and diced them instead of quartering them."
"This is a great salsa recipe and I have used it for several years. When I don't have fresh tomatoes, I use two large restaurant size cans of diced tomatoes, draining the excess liquid. I also substitute an 8 oz. jar of sliced jalapenos drained and chopped. Friends are always asking if I can bring some of my homemade salsa to our gatherings. It makes wonderful Christmas presents. You can adjust the recipe to make it as hot as you want or less sweet. It's a keeper!"