Midwest Meatball Casserole Recipe
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 slices process American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, egg, bread crumbs, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan and bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine remaining tomato sauce with vegetables and seasonings. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until heated through; stir in meatballs and set aside.
- 4. Place potatoes in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Brush with butter and bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven; top with meatball mixture. Arrange cheese strips in a lattice pattern on top. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 310 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 884mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Midwest Meatball Casserole
"This recipe, as is, is much too bland for my tastes. I felt like it needed more sauce and seasoning. The meatballs were good. I do not have much more input, it was just pretty average overall."
"I made this quite-easy casserole for dinner this evening. It got thumbs up all the way around. I added a few more seasonings to the meat mixture because we like our meatballs spicier. Even our two young guests, my nephews, ate enthusiastically and then told me to tell their mom how to fix it."