This creamy chowder is the perfect dish to serve to any vegetarian friends. It is the wonderful for any cool day.—Denae Blair, Shawnee Mission, Kansas
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 10 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cream-style corn
- Cook the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions in boiling salted water
- for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter, stir in flour and pepper
- until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly,
- until thickened. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in corn.
- Heat through but do not boil. Add reserved vegetables and liquid.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 327 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.