Midsummer Sponge Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 3 tablespoons lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 10 to 12 ribbons with small charms attached
- Assorted fresh fruit
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until light and lemon-colored. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture alternately with water, beating just until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. springform pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides. Invert onto a wire rack. Remove bottom of pan; invert cake so top is up. For filling, in a large bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla and pudding mix for 2 minutes or until thickened; chill for 10 minutes. Fold in whipped topping.
- For glaze, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add enough cold water to measure 1 cup. Chill for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut cake in half horizontally. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Tuck charms under edge of cake. Spread filling over cake layer; top with second cake layer and fruit. Drizzle with glaze. Chill until serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Midsummer Sponge Cake(1)
Sort By :
I used this sponge cake recipe as a base for a Mid-Summer strawberry shortcake! Being a mom of 4 young ones, I loved how simple the cake was to make. And how quickly this cake bakes! It's really is like a sponge, and soaks up the jello glaze. I did add 1 t of almond extract to the egg, and sugar mixture. I could really taste the almond. I changed the glaze from lemon jello to strawberry jello, and turned it into a strawberry shortcake with cubes of the sponge cake on the bottom, strawberries with the jello glaze as the middle layer, and whipped cream on top! Delicious!