Midnight Mice Recipe
Put these on a plate and they'll be gone in no time! Kids will love decorating the mice with assorted candies.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 12 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 36 pieces black shoestring licorice (2 inches each)
- Assorted candies: Red cake decorator dots, M&M's semisweet miniature baking bits and black sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the peanut butter, butter and vanilla until blended; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in cereal. Shape into 1-in. balls, tapering one end to resemble a mouse. Position almonds on heads for ears. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip mice into coating; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Immediately insert licorice for tails. Add red dots for eyes and M&M's miniature baking bits for noses. Sprinkle with black sugar. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC