- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 12 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 36 pieces black shoestring licorice (2 inches each)
- Assorted candies: Red cake decorator dots, M&M's semisweet miniature baking bits and black sugar
- In a small bowl, beat the peanut butter, butter and vanilla until blended; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in cereal. Shape into 1-in. balls, tapering one end to resemble a mouse. Position almonds on heads for ears. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip mice into coating; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Immediately insert licorice for tails. Add red dots for eyes and M&M's miniature baking bits for noses. Sprinkle with black sugar. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Midnight Mice
"I tried these last year for the first time. I made several batches. Loved the chocolate and peanut butter taste with crunch from rice cereal. The black sprinkles were messy when touching the cookies so left them off. They are time consuming but the results and taste are well worth every minute spent making them. I make these along with 2 other chocolate mice cookies for our Chocolate Festival every fall. They sell out quickly!"