Microwave Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (1/4 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 1. Cut steak into serving-size pieces; pound with a mallet to tenderize. Place the steak in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle with soup mix and mushrooms. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; set tomatoes aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and tomato liquid until smooth. Add pepper, cayenne if desired and tomatoes. Pour over meat. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until mixture begins to boil. Microwave, covered, at 50% power for 14-19 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced sodium onion soup mix and no-salt-added whole tomatoes) equals 201 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Microwave Swiss Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.