I adapted this recipe from one that came with our microwave oven. The results were delicious.—Mary Hufford-Baker, Sweet Home, Oregon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. In a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the potatoes, onion and cheese sauce. Repeat the layers twice. Cover and microwave on high for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Scalloped Potatoes in Country Woman January/February 2001, p35
Reviews for Microwave Scalloped Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2010
"easy! Perfect with ham on a cold fall night"