Microwave Sausage and Wild Rice Recipe
This hot dish is convenient because it's made in the microwave. It has nice flavor and looks good, too. Even though I've been making it for more than 10 years, I still get requests for it.—Mary Bondegard, Brooksville, Florida
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice
- 1 pound bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside. Crumble sausage into an ungreased 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. Add onions and mushrooms to drippings. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring twice. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth and cream. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring twice. Stir in rice and sausage. Cover and microwave on high for 7-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 432 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 1,282 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC