Microwave Potato Ham Dinner Recipe
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, celery and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-1/2 minutes, stirring once. Add green pepper and onion; cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once. Pour into a 2-qt. microwave-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the margarine, covered, on high for 30-40 seconds or until melted. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk.
- 3. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring after each minute. Stir in the cheese until melted. Pour over the vegetables. Stir in ham. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 251 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 1,115 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.