- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Dash salt
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oats and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring once; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla and oat mixture. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to oat mixture until combined.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. microwave-safe dish. Shield corners with small triangles of foil. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 6 minutes. Cook on high for 6 minutes or until when center is touched, cake clings to finger while area underneath is almost dry. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine topping ingredients in a microwave-safe dish; microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thicken and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread over warm cake. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Oatmeal Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p9
Reviews for Microwave Oatmeal Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2012
"It very tasty and moist and didn't have to use the oven which heats up the kitchen even more on a hot summer day."