- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Dash salt
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oats and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring once; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla and oat mixture. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to oat mixture until combined.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. microwave-safe dish. Shield corners with small triangles of foil. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 6 minutes. Cook on high for 6 minutes or until when center is touched, cake clings to finger while area underneath is almost dry. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine topping ingredients in a microwave-safe dish; microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thicken and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread over warm cake. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Oatmeal Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p9
Reviews for Microwave Oatmeal Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2012
It very tasty and moist and didn't have to use the oven which heats up the kitchen even more on a hot summer day.