Microwave Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe
My family prefers homemade macaroni and cheese over the kind you get out of the box. This recipe is an easy way to keep them happy. Whenever we have a family get-together, I bring this comforting dish. Its "from scratch" taste can't be beat. -Linda Gingrich, Freeburg, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes; stir. Cover and cook at 50% power for 3 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
- 2. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into macaroni mixture. Add cheese. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 minutes or until the macaroni is tender and sauce is bubbly, stirring every 3 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 543 calories, 33 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 1,311 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC