My family prefers homemade macaroni and cheese over the kind you get out of the box. This recipe is an easy way to keep them happy. Whenever we have a family get-together, I bring this comforting dish. Its "from scratch" taste can't be beat. -Linda Gingrich, Freeburg, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes; stir. Cover and cook at 50% power for 3 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into macaroni mixture. Add cheese. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 minutes or until the macaroni is tender and sauce is bubbly, stirring every 3 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Mac 'n' Cheese in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p29
Reviews for Microwave Mac 'n' Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review