Microwave German Potato Salad has big flavor for a quick salad. "The first time I tried this easy side dish I was impressed and had to have the recipe," recalls Barbara Erdmann of West Allis, Wisconsin. "That's what happens to most people who taste it. It's a time-saver when I need a salad for a summer get-together."
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, onion and celery; set aside. Place bacon in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 2-3 minutes longer or until the bacon is crisp, stirring after each minute.
- Remove bacon to paper towel to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir the sugar, flour, vinegar, salt and pepper into drippings until smooth; gradually add milk.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; toss. Top with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Microwave German Potato Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p11
Reviews for Microwave German Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2011
"This was a big hit this 4th of July weekendMy husband even ask if I will make it for our next gathering with our friends as one of them is german he thinks she will really like it."