Microwave French Onion Soup
Enjoy the taste and comfort of this classic soup through the convenience of microwave cooking. "It's a recipe that I turn to time and again," shares Mina Dyck of Boissevain, Manitoba. After one spoonful, you'll understand why.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 cups seasoned croutons
- 1-1/3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Cover and microwave at 50% power for 18-23 minutes or until onions
- are tender.
- Ladle hot soup into four microwave-safe bowls. Top with croutons and
- cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds or until cheese
- is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was prepared with Knorr vegetable bouillon. A half-cube makes 1 cup prepared bouillon.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 309 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,449 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.