Microwave Corn Chowder Recipe
"I used to cook for a tearoom, and this rich, sunny-colored chowder was a customer favorite," reports Isabel Kublik of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. "It's a snap to make in the microwave because there's no scorching."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1. Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; set aside (do not drain).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. dish, microwave butter on high for 40-60 seconds or until melted. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 2 minutes. Add the cheese. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Stir in corn and vegetable mixture. Cook on high for 1-1/2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 264 calories, 16 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC