- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; set aside (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. dish, microwave butter on high for 40-60 seconds or until melted. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 2 minutes. Add the cheese. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Stir in corn and vegetable mixture. Cook on high for 1-1/2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Microwave Corn Chowder in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p51
Reviews for Microwave Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2012
"I have been making this recipe for years. Not only is it good it is economical to make. This is one of my 9 year olds favorite things to eat!"
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2009
"This is excellent. I often make it for church functions."