- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; set aside (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. dish, microwave butter on high for 40-60 seconds or until melted. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 2 minutes. Add the cheese. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Stir in corn and vegetable mixture. Cook on high for 1-1/2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Microwave Corn Chowder in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p51
Reviews for Microwave Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2012
"I have been making this recipe for years. Not only is it good it is economical to make. This is one of my 9 year olds favorite things to eat!"
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2009
"This is excellent. I often make it for church functions."