Microwave Brussels Sprouts
When your conventional oven is filled with the turkey and side dishes, these dressed-up brussels sprouts can be prepared in the microwave. I think you will agree the cheese topping makes these sprouts special enough to include in a holiday meal.
-Gloria Warczak, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place the brussels sprouts in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish; add
- water. Sprinkle with celery salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on
- high for 6-8 minutes or until tender, stirring and rotating a
- quarter turn every 2 minutes. Drain. Sprinkle with cheese; microwave
- on high for 30-60 seconds or until cheese begins to melt. Combine
- cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over sprouts. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 88 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.