"This microwave dish is great when time is short," writes Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas. "I sometimes use cooked wild rice instead. Add a vegetable and crusty rolls for a delicious dinner."
Recommended: 70 Budget-Friendly Dinners That Are Big on Taste
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 5 large fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 package (6 ounces) seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumble beef into a microwave-safe 3-qt. dish; add onion. Loosely cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring twice; drain. Stir in rice and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in soup, almonds and mushrooms.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing mix, butter and remaining water; spoon over beef mixture. Microwave, uncovered, for 1-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Beef Casserole in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p43