Michigan Fruit Baked Oatmeal
Whole-grain oatmeal is a delicious way to start every day. For a change, swap chunks of granny smith apples for the dried fruit. Leftovers warm well in the microwave.—Jeanette Kass, Ravenna, Michigan
3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup chunky applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Optional toppings: vanilla yogurt and additional dried cranberries and sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Transfer to a
- 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until set. Serve
- with toppings if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calcualted without optional toppings) equals 259 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.