- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and drained or fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1-1/4 cups dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss tart and dried cherries with lemon juice, lemon peel and almond extract. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch; add to cherry mixture and toss to coat. For topping, in a small bowl, mix ingredients until crumbly. Transfer cherry filling to pastry-lined pie plate; sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Michigan Cherry Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p163
Reviews for Michigan Cherry Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review