Michigan Beans and Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or smoked Polish sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, sugars, vinegar, molasses and mustard. Stir in beans and sausage mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until bean mixture reaches desired thickness. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker. Prepare as directed, transferring to a slow cooker instead of a baking dish. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
3/4 cup: 200 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Michigan Beans and Sausage Casserole
"This was very good. The only thing I would change is cutting down the brown sugar to 1/2 cup and the sugar to 1/4 cup. It was a bit too sweet."
"Great flavor !"
"I used the smoked turkey sausage and cut it down for four."
"This recipe would have been ok if the beans would have remained intact. They just turned to mush. It was still ok but I won't make it again."