Michigan Beans and Sausage
I got this recipe from a church cookbook years ago. Bean casseroles are a big hit at potlucks and picnics.
14-16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or smoked Polish sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion in boiling water for 2
- minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, sugars,
- vinegar, molasses and mustard. Stir in beans and sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until bean mixture reaches desired
- thickness. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker. Prepare as directed, transferring to a slow cooker instead of a baking dish. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 200 calories,